Sunday, December 27, 2009

some of my current favorite songs

Some of my current favorite songs:


1. "No One Knows I'm Gone" by Tom Waits
This is a song that creeps me out as I think how many people lie under the ground I stand on, and no one knows they're there. I really like Scarlett Johansson's version of this song as well. She nailed it.



2. "Parting Glass" by Emer Kenny
This song is part of the legendary Putumayo album series, from "Celtic Crossroads." I have many versions of this song, and they are all good. But this version is the best.




3. "Crystal Ship" by The Doors
This isn't a typical Doors song at all. It has a quality more consistent with classical music than anything. I don't think I have ever listened to this song just one at a time. I always repeat it.



4. "Has Been" by William Shatner
In this song, Shatner has a spagetti western theme song as he speaks. He makes an excellent and thoughtful argument that 'has beens' are better than their critics. "Has been was. Has been, might again." Meanwhile, you and me are critical of other's fame, and we have nothing to show for it. Just listen to the song.




5. "Portland, Oregon" by Loretta Lynn and Jack White
Aside from the fact that I am moving to the Portland area, this is a great song. Loretta and Jack are great. I hope they continue to collaborate. I also hope Jack White collaborates with other old time musicians that are ready for a comeback. It's very Rick Rubinish.

No comments:

Post a Comment